Thursday, December 1, 2011

MICE!


I never realized how deathly afraid of mice I am until this last weekend! When people tell me "Oh we have mice!" I just thought THAT SUCKS! But now that we have them I have realized I HATE THEM! I will now have more sympathy for people that have them.

When we moved in almost 3 years ago to our townhouse I got on a quarterly pest control plan. After 2 1/2 years of doing it I thought "what good is this doing and costing me $70". Well now I know what good it was doing! 4 Months after stopping it we started finding spiders, little bugs, and now mice! We have had lots of construction going on and the weather has changed too so that hasn't helped. We also have had both neighbors move out and new move in, so I add that to the problem as well.

Monday night after doing laundry, I went to put the kitchen towels in the drawer in the kitchen. I open the drawer and find Coopers food in the drawer. At first I thought "Austin or my dad put this there to make me mad because I am so OCD clean". I yell for Austin and he swears he did do it..... I then lift the towels up to find droppings!! We then look through the 3 drawers above and find more droppings. At this point I am trying to not let my anxiety kick in and kept telling myself "calm down we can clean this up!" We check all the other cabinets, pantry, and sink. We find nothing! So we run to the store and buy traps. The next morning, we go to give Cooper a treat and find his treats under the sink EVERYWHERE! That night we go to the store and buy little poison pebbles and Wool to cover up the places he could be getting into. After doing ALL this, we deep cleaned our entire house and put all the food in tupperware!! And when I say deep clean its deep clean Ashlyn style.... poor Austin, but he was a good sport and didn't complain. (He has alittle OCD himself as he tells me when we are done he needs a shower because he feels gross after cleaning up mouse crap).  In the middle of the night I wake up (its about 1:20 am) and had this awful feeling that there were mice running around my kitchen, an entire family! So I lean over to Austin and tell him "um hey, can you go check on the mice please?" I seriously have an amazing husband because he didn't even hesitate! (I think he is just used to my crazy ways and instead of questioning it he knows just to do it to calm me down haha). So we go downstairs and Austin opens the cupboards below the sink and there is GUS (we named him Gus). He was trying to get out and couldn't because we sealed all the holes up.... well at least we thought..... Austin watched him for about 5 min and then we found out where he came in at! There is a hole we forgot to cover that connects to the dishwasher and goes downstairs. We didn't seem him the rest of the night or even into the next day. This morning we wake up and Austin goes downstairs to check and Gus WAS BACK, he got into the little poison pebbles and they were EVERYWHERE under the sink. We are hoping that means he got them. I think there are more than one.... Austin thinks its just Gus so I named the other one Bob. :)

Needless to say I called the pest control people and they are coming out tomorrow morning to hopefully help us! I don't want them in my house, they need to stay away. Cooper is ZERO help in this matter too. Austin told me he thinks Cooper has be friend ed the little guy and is sharing his food and treats. He thinks they sit on the couch all day and snuggle. Which honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Cooper was watching Gus, Bob, and friends take his food. He isn't possessive over his food like some dogs, in fact when we babysit other friends dogs its always Cooper who waits his turn and lets the other dogs go first. haha I have raised a polite dog :) So cross your fingers everyone that we have stopped Gus, Bob and friends from coming to our house. This is a warning to EVERYONE in my complex........ We are having the pest people over so you might have mice. :)

1 comment:

Regs said...

Oh, I so understand this feeling. We killed at least 7 mice in our house in Vermont when we lived there... And I have 2 cats!!!! Hope the pest control people helped get rid of them!